top of page

The Problem

Real truth about Human Trafficking

While it’s generally believed that children are the prime targets for human trafficking, they make up 25 percent of the 40 million victims across the globe. That leaves 75 percent to adult human trafficking. According to the 2020 Federal Human Trafficking Report published by the Human Trafficking Institute, child victims in active sex trafficking cases in the United States rose to 55% compared to 2019, and 45% for adults

These people are lured in using manipulation.

Many times traffickers will make false promises of upward economic mobility, job opportunities, and repayment of debt to make the offer seem enticing. All the while, the individual has no idea what they’re getting themselves into. 

In some cases, sheer force and threats are used to traffic victims, giving them no choice but to give into the demands of the trafficker.

not for sale_edited.jpg

The  Aftermath Solution


Why trauma informed Mentoring is so important for Sex Trafficking Victims.

Having someone to provide support and guidance is essential to the recovery of youth who have experienced CSEC and Sex trafficking. Studies have shown that having a supportive adult in their life can help these young people build resiliency, set goals and create a path to a better future. Additionally, forming meaningful and trusting relationships with adults can help these young people regain a sense of safety and security. Furthermore, providing support and unconditional acceptance to these young people can help them feel seen and valued.

Mentoring is a Restorative Relationship

Typically, Adult sex trafficking and CSEC survivors have a complicated history with relationships. Most survivors of adult sex trafficking CSEC have experienced significant relationship-based trauma prior to their trafficking. Their perception of relationships is further warped during their exploitation experience. Victims often view their interactions with adults in terms of control, power, and manipulation — making it difficult for them to come to trust adults and form meaningful relationships.

Mentoring Encourages Growth and Healing

Mentors play an important role in the healing process of a adult sex trafficking and CSEC survivor. Through building meaningful relationships, mentors can help survivors to recognize their own value and worth and to realize their potential. Through providing guidance, support, and unconditional acceptance, mentors can foster a feeling of safety and security that can help the survivor to move beyond their experiences of exploitation. Mentors also provide a model for how healthy relationships look and can encourage the survivor to develop healthy relationships with those around them.

Mentoring Creates Social Support and Connection

Mentors provide an opportunity for survivors to explore new experiences and develop social connections. These connections can be further developed through educational opportunities, employment, and leisure activities. This helps to create a strong social support system outside of the mentoring relationship and increases survivors' feelings of safety and security. Such a system can be immensely beneficial for adult sex trafficking and CSEC survivors as it can help to build trust, foster healthy relationships, and provide an environment where the survivor can make decisions based on their own values and sense of self-worth.

bottom of page